The Winnipeg Wesmen men’s basketball team will enter the national championship tournament as the 7-seed, it was announced Sunday.
The Wesmen, finalists of the Canada West conference, will return to nationals for the first time since 1993-94 and take on the No. 2-seed, and OUA champions, Ottawa Gee-Gees in a quarter-final game Friday, March 10 at 12:00 p.m. Winnipeg time. The game will be broadcast online via CBC Sports and CBC Gem.
The Wesmen and Gee-Gees met earlier this season in the final of the Wesmen Classic with the Gee-Gees earning a 70-61 victory.
Winnipeg enters the tournament as finalists of the Canada West after dropping the conference championship game Friday night in Victoria.
The Gee-Gees beat crosstown rival Carleton in the OUA final on Saturday night.
- Victoria Vikes (CW champions: 17-3 regular season, 3-0 playoffs)
- Ottawa Gee-Gees (OUA champions: 17-5, 3-0)
- Carleton Ravens (OUA finalists: 18-4, 2-1)
- STFX X-Men (AUS champions: 17-3, 2-0)
- Queen’s Gaels (at-large berth: 17-5, 2-1)
- UQAM Citadins (RSEQ champions: 10-6, 2-0)
- Winnipeg Wesmen (CW finalists: 15-5, 2-1)
- UPEI Panthers (AUS finalists, host berth: 15-1, 1-1)
Schedule (All times Central)
- 10 a.m.: No. 6 UQAM vs. No. 3 Carleton
- 12 p.m.: No. 7 Winnipeg vs. No. 2 Ottawa
- 4 p.m.: No. 5 Queen’s vs. No. 4 STFX
- 6 p.m.: No. 8 UPEI vs. No. 1 Victoria